Saturday 27 October 2012

Being a final year student is time consuming but here's 4 sport related things I've been doing this week

The last couple of weeks have been busy but pretty uneventful in triathlon terms. So I've tried to sieve out the boring stuff to update you on what I've been doing. If anyone has anything to say about my training leave some comments here. I'm hoping a bit of feedback from the blog might be able to jump-start my training.


Things I've been doing:

#1 - Resistance training
There's loads of stuff out there telling you about how training other than swim, bike and run can help you. Seeing as I'm about as flexible as a corpse with rigamortis and I don't enjoy stretching, I decided to skip that for now and go for resistance training. It's also appropriate as pretty much the first line of my dissertation is... Research has shown that plyometric and resistance training improves endurance performance. But despite all the advantages of evening out muscular imbalances and developing power, you always ache after your first work out in a while. This time was no different and my legs and chest were agony. Luckily the aching goes quickly and the benefits will outweigh the costs.


#2 - Sport on the CV
On a similar note, I'm volunteering as strength and conditioning coach for the Uni rowing team so it's probably a good thing I've started training myself. This combined with the first aid training I've just done is helping me feel like I'm being productive towards getting a career in sport. I'm also supposed to be doing a similar thing with the waterpolo team which leads me on to my next point...


#3 - Waterpolo
I've been getting fit for the first friendly of the season for the uni team. Waterpolo training 3 times a week on top of additional swim sessions now and then has been a big boost to my swimming fitness. Although I'm still not the fastest my stamina is fairly decent so roll on some longer distance events next year.


#4 - General Training
The focus at the minute (other than waterpolo and strength training) is the duathlon relay I'm doing with my dad next month. Seeing as I'm doing the run leg, running has been my focus lately. The endurance side is going well I just need to do a bit more work on speed and hopefully I'll be able to put in a good performance. This does mean my cyclings been lacking a bit lately and I haven’t been putting the miles in. I have been doing some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) stuff on the turbo though so at least that's something right?


With a week off for 'personal development' I'm looking to have a really solid block of training next week and I might even stumble across something interesting to blog about so keep checking in for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment