Saturday 6 October 2012

Pre Marathon Thoughts

It's the evening before the Chester Marathon. The night before my last triathlon I was nervous that I wasn't prepared, so after only 3 weeks of training to get round a 26.2 mile run here's what I'm thinking ahead of the big day.

Have I trained enough? Well... no, probably not. Not to get round in under 4 hours which is my overall goal. But I reckon I can get round. I'm trying to focus on the thought that If I push myself I can get round. At the minute I'm feeling pretty happy. The only problem is I'm developing a type of hypochondria. I've never been the kind of person to worry about having an illness, if I'm ill, I'm ill. But today every time I felt a tiny niggle as I walked along I worried It could be an injury. This ended in me smothering my legs in deep heat. I haven’t stopped there. The last couple of nights I've covered myself in Vickes before bed and today I cooked the chicken in my tea an extra couple of minutes just so I don't wake up with salmonella tomorrow!

Other than this weird onset of hypochondria I've been focusing on nutrition (I like the word nutrition, it makes eating sound scientific). The night before my first triathlon I stuffed my face at pizza hut, an utterly stupid mistake. Being sick whilst racing is not fun. So with my last triathlon I made sure I ate better pre-race. Having learnt my lessons I've been careful with my food and splashed out on carbs from less stodgey foods. I'll be honest, I love food and my digestive system isn't the best. I'm actually wondering how I'm going to go 4+ hours without eating a decent meal or going to the toilet. But I'm sure when the race gets going I'll have plenty of other things on my mind. Or maybe not, I enjoy getting lost in my thoughts while I'm out running but, never having run that far before, I might just run out of thoughts before I get to the end.

Who knows what will happen? All I know is that this time tomorrow, if I can get round and be able to say that I've completed a marathon, I'll be happy. Very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment