Monday 12 November 2012

Bluebell Duathlon Relay


Crossing the finish line
On Saturday my dad and I completed our first duathlon. It was a small charity event at the Bluebell Inn in Farnah Green, Derbyshire. Dad, despite being a keen cyclist, hasn't entered many competitions in the past, so I'm glad he agreed to do it. All his falls and metal hip/elbow has made him cautious of pushing himself too much in case he comes off again (as he should be). So Saturday morning and I'm up before 7 for the first time in a while getting ready for the 9am start. Dad being Dad decided to cycle to the event saying it'd be a good warm up. I passed on running there and got a lift off my step-sis Mel, cheers Mel.



It was a pretty low key event. When we turned up there was only 1 car in the car park and no one to be seen, had we got the right place? But shortly after more and more people turned up, most of them bringing fancy bikes just to tease me and spark off some bike envy. Dad arrived shortly after and noted that he was by far the oldest participant there and I was the youngest. Most people round at the time were male and in their 30s. This all changed and by the time we'd completed registration and were ready to line up, the field had 23 teams (plus some random people that seemed to be there just to do the bike leg and 1 psycho woman that stormed through the whole thing and smashed the majority of the teams) with a mix of ages from a lopsided pensioner to a boy that hadn't long walked out of his pampers.


Unprepared as ever at the start
To demonstrate how low key the event was here's my account of the start. The guy giving some basic instructions about the route, I'd picked up my bit and was only half paying attention. The roads were quiet but not closed and I'd noticed a van coming up behind us. Just as I was wondering if I should say something about the van, I realised the guy had just calmly said start and everyone was off. I spun round and got going as quickly as possible. I enjoyed the race. It wasn't too long but it was a challenge. There was never a flat bit and the hills were steep, just as difficult to descend as ascend. I tried to pace myself with the first run and I felt I did pretty well coming in around half way and off Dad went.


From my view and what Dad's told me I'll explain the bike leg. The first rider to come in was very fast and very muddy. He skidded over the line, covered in mud like Arny hiding from the predator. His runner was off and frustratingly he was the guy that won the run leg, guess who won the race. A steady trickle of cyclists came in, each as caked in mud as the last. The steady arrival of cyclists stopped. 4 of us were left. This was when I started to worry Dad might be dead. Time passed and still nothing. Then Dad arrived. Luckily he wasn't dead, unluckily for him his calves were. He'd been pacing himself, noticing that others around him were killing themselves up hills and looked shattered early on. He said he'd tried not to corner too fast as the mud had made the road slick. But then his chain came off. He got off to fix it, but then both his calves started cramping. He stretched out, carried on, stopped at a junction, cramped up again, got off stretched out, carried on and still managed to come in ahead of 2 others. He didn't have as much trouble as the guy who came in last, it sounds like he managed to get a flat tyre then get lost and cycled all the way to duffield!


I set off for the final leg with the majority of people about to finish. But that didn't matter, I was determined to at least take 1 place. A guy left not too long before and I thought I might be able to catch him. I paced myself and decided when he was in my sights I'd burst ahead and take my own little victory, sadly this didn't happen and I never caught him, but I did gain 1 extra place before the finish. We were nowhere near winning but we weren't last and I enjoyed myself. It was great to be able to do it with my dad too. I'd recommend the race to anyone. The profits go to a charity that the guy running the duathlon runs in India. It was a challenging and a good way to spend a Saturday morning if you ask me. If anyone wants to check out Team Brindley's time or other events, here's the site...


1 comment: