Sunday 14 October 2012

Lessons Learnt The Hard Way

This time last Sunday I was sprinting over the finish line of the Chester marathon (I genuinely managed to sprint!). A week on I'm sat in bed contemplating a bike ride. To procrastinate a little first I thought I'd write a quick blog about some thing I think could have been changed to improve my run. So if you ever run a marathon try not to make these mistakes:

1- Train, no matter how good your base fitness is you need to prepare your body for the way it'll feel after running 20 miles. I thought it'd just be painful and that I'd be mentally strong enough to get through it. I didn't realise how stiff I'd get and how much I'd have to change the way I ran.

2- Mentality, don't even bother trying if you can't push yourself. Be confident you can do it and don't doubt yourself. When I started to doubt myself it became a lot harder. 
 
3- Don't stop, it'll only get worse. You'll seize up and it's tough to get going again. Just be brave and plough on through.

4- Go to the toilet before you start. Running while you need a poo is painful. Stopping for one wastes time. Just go before you set off.

5- Live in a bungalow. Walking up and down stairs after (and the days after) a marathon is painful. Very, very, very painful.

There was probably plenty more mistakes but these were the ones that stuck in my mind. Things might not have gone perfect but if your thinking of doing a marathon don't be put off. It left me with a huge sense of achievement and it was great when people asked what I'd done at the weekend and I could casually tell them I ran a marathon. For anyone that'd like a look here's a link to the pictures of me including video evidence of my sprint finish despite feeling like death... http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2012/Chester%20Marathon&match=203&name=Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment