Tuesday 11 September 2012

My Mechanic: Part Man Part Bike

My Dad out on one of our rides
I've read a lot of cliche stories about everyone from pro athletes to everyday guys that say they couldn't achieve what they have without the support of friends and family. I suppose thats true. When it comes to tinkering with bikes my knowledge is fairly limited. Luckily my dad can spend hours on end fixing any kind of problem. This is why he's become my mechanic. Whenever I'm home he finds something to fiddle with and improve on my bike that I wouldn't have the patience or know how to fix. He's been a keen cyclist for years and I was recently describing his multiple cycling injuries to my girlfriend and her brother which resulted in them describing him as part man part bike. Despite his crashes resulting in him having a partially metal elbow and hip he's still a better cyclist than me and always willing to go out on rides. The odd endurance ride has helped no end with my training and its always helpful to have someone who knows loads of local routes. My dad has possibly been the most helpful thing when it's come to money saving. While free bike repairs are pretty helpful the hand me downs are even more money saving. Recently he bought me gloves and a jersey for my birthday as well as giving me an old jersey, a pair of shorts, gloves and even a turbo trainer (the list goes on). These things have been really helpful for training and freebies are the grail for a budget triathlete like me. So I suppose really I'm just saying cheers Dad.




No comments:

Post a Comment