Tuesday 11 September 2012

Cavendish, Constipation and Crashes


Not a bad way to spend a Monday, I went with my girlfriend and her brother to see stage 2 of the Tour of Britain. We couldn't get to the finish line due to logistical problems (i.e. not having a clue where we were going and a police man telling us we couldn't walk down the dual carriageway to the finish) but we got a decent view of the peloton flying by with 2km to go. Watching the pros fly past was pretty inspiring but it wasn't till I looked at the pictures afterwards that I realised just how funny the faces were. Half of the peloton pulled faces that looked somewhere between determination and constipation. After they passed us we found a way to the finish to look round as the crowds poured out. I tried to get into the background of Ned Boulting's interviews (it didn't work but I did see myself on the highlights at 2km to go), saw Wiggins signing autographs (sadly not for me) and tried to catch a bottle thrown by Cavendish (Yeah I didn't get that either). Alright, I know I was like a big kid but I was having fun and a got a freebie in the end anyway some driver chucked me a free hat! And the funniest part of the day? As we were leaving an expensive looking jag bumps into the back of another car. To a big cheer Dave Brailsford gets out the car and appologies to the driver infront ooooops not the usual kind of crash you see in cycling. O well don't worry mate, everything Dave Brailsford touches seems to turn to gold so your car will be winning the F1 soon. In the end it was a good day and great to see some of the heroes of cycling in the flesh. Who knows, maybe one day it'll be these guys turning out to see me race!

Wiggins and Cavendish in the peloton

Cavendish behind the race leader
Me and Alice at the finish line
Thanks to Thomas McCoy for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment