Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Joys of Cycling

There's 5 days left till I take on my first full olympic distance triathlon, the Deva Triathlon, and I've just kickstarted my cycling training. Proabably about time then.



My picnic spot
For some reason whenever my training slips the first thing to go is cycling. I'm not sure why but I think it may have something to do with weather. In my mind bad weather = bad day to cycle, but I'm not so sure this is the case. I love running in the rain and when you're going for it the colds usually irrelevant, if not something to be greatful of. So why then don't I like cycling in the rain? Turns out I do. The last couple of days I've been out in the rain and absolutley loved it. Especially on yesterday when I cycled to Delamere forest, I found an enjoyable route and enjoyed some time cycling and trying not to think about Uni exams. There was some beautiful scenary despite the rain and I found a nice dry spot to stop.

I think in the past I've been a little worried about cycling in bad weather because of some of the crashes my dad's had. It turns out hurtling downhill and skidding in to corners at 30mph is actually really fun. If anything I think this realisation has helped. I'm not stupid enough to purposefully put myself or anyone else in danger because of my cycling but I've realised I've been missing out and I should be doing more cycling before summer comes round.

So my cycling isn't where it should be but it's getting there at least. I think I've got a pretty solid base on the running side because of my last couple of events. Although I found out today I could do with more practice at running off the bike. Finally my swimming hasn't been the best but I think I'm still seeing excrutiatingly slow improvements in my swim so I can't moan. On a brighter swimming note, I hired a wetsuit today. My first open water swim and first crack at olympic distance triathlon could be interesting...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck son, it'll be an experience!
    Don't let my crashes put you off, you bounce better when you're younger.

    ReplyDelete