Wednesday 22 May 2013

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

My last post was about how I was gonna start up the blog and post regularly but I haven't. I've been really busy over the last few weeks and it's been a bit of a difficult time as I've come to the end of my life at uni. I'd say sorry but fortunately no one reads these posts anyway! Luckily I have managed to fit in a couple of races so here's how they've gone...


The Good
I was training for the Chester Half marathon at the time of my last post and this was my first race. I'd not done a half marathon before and I wasn't sure how it'd go and I was a bit apprehensive before the race. Whilst I'd enjoyed the marathon in some ways, in others it was complete torture and at the time hurt me physically and mentally. It was worth it to know that I'd done a marathon and could push my body that far. In my head the half marathon was just that, only half a marathon, so how could I justify the pain if it meant nothing?

Turns out I was being stupid as usual and it all went fine. One thing I didn't have a clue about was my time. Seeing as I knew I could complete the distance I wanted to do it in what seemed a good time for me (I'm weird and have to push myself in strange ways). To help with fundraising (for Alzheimers Society- thank you everyone that sponsored me!) I made a guess the time competition. This got me guessing my own time and I decided I'd be happy with anything under 1:50.

I could bore you with details of the run but to be honest I can't remember that many. I know I started slowly, zig-zagging round the course to get round slower runners in front of me. Despite the race organisers best efforts (it was very well organised), people clearly ignored the sections for estimated finishing times at the start and decided to cram in as near to the elite runners as possible. This meant it took me a while to get going but when I realised I was overtaking people I was buzzing and felt really up for it. I saw quite a few people I knew in the run and overtaking them definitely motivated me (I also bizarrely recognised a paralympic cyclist taking photos at the side of the road, so somewhere out there Rik Whaddon has a picture of me running!). From then on the race was a blur till I crossed the line. My final time was 1:41:47. I was over the moon with the time and it was a good way to cap off a nice weekend seeing family that came to visit Chester.

The Bad
After the high of the Chester half marathon I decided to enter the Port Sunlight 10k. I'd surprised myself with how fit I was so I decided to have a crack at one of my goals for the season, a sub 40min 10k. This felt like it should have been within my limits and an easier target than running another 1:41 half marathon. Turns out I was wrong yet again. I felt crap and had a bit of stomach pain that got worse as I went on. I was just ahead of target at 1km and bang on target at 2km, the rest went dreadfully. I slowed down, it wasn't enjoyable and in the end I did 45:05, slower than the 10ks I've done in training. Although I've said all that, the race was actually a beautiful race round the nicest village I've ever been to and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about trying it.

The Ugly
As always, I look shattered and as beautiful as ever in race photos. Have a look...
I might look sad but I'm just nakerd
Whereas this is the happiest I looked all day


No comments:

Post a Comment